How Shoes Are Made – Step by Step Processing
How Shoes Are Made – Step by Step Process
Shoes play a very important role in our lives. We cannot seem to go somewhere without shoes. When we go to school, work, restaurant, park, movies or a friend’s house, shoes have become our partner in life. We cannot move freely and comfortably if not wearing the right shoes. The main purpose of the shoes is to protect our feet.
Parts of a Shoe:
Shoes are composed of sole, insole, outsole, midsole, heal and the vamp. The other parts of the shoes are tongue, lining, welt, backstay and quarter.
- Sole –This is the exterior part of the shoe at the bottom.
- Insole – It is the interior bottom which lies beneath the foot. Some insoles can be removed or replaced. Some shoes have additional insoles for more comfort.
- Outsole – This is the exterior part of the shoe that is touching the ground.
- Midsole – It is the layer which sits between the insole and outsole. The main purpose of midsole is to absorb shock.
- Heel – The back part of the shoe is heel which provides support to the heels of the feet.
Step by Step Process of How Shoes Are Made
1. Making Patterns
Every pair of shoes is different which requires an exclusive pattern. The pattern involves the forming of shapes for the shoes not only for the upper part but also for the core, the insole or internal part of the shoe, the outsole or the outer part of the shoe as well as the heel.
A foot-shaped block which is known as “last” is covered in tape to make the pattern. The last is where the shoes are being molded. For instance, shoes with pointy toes are molded with a last with a pointy toe. The pattern is then drawn onto card and cut in to pieces to make the pattern.
2. Selecting the Materials
The materials used are the most important thing in shoe making. The quality of the materials are ought to be high so that all users can experience the best out of their shoes.
Using the pattern created from the first step, the materials are being cut accordingly. It requires a high level of skill to avoid wasting too much leather and other materials.
Edging is the way of flattening the edge of the patterns that were cut. Each piece of the material is flattened around the edges in order to have neat layers when stitched together.
5. Building the Upper Area
Each piece of the upper area is formed individually. These are the compositions of the upper part of the shoe:
- Making the ankle strap – The straps are measured accurately.
- Preparation for the toe and heel pieces
- Making the leather lining
- Attaching the leather lining
- Creating holes in the ankle strap using a nail and a hammer
- Crafting beautifully each curl of the ruffle for the design
6. Preparing the platform and heel
After making the upper part, the heel and platform are prepared which are both covered by the materials selected.
7. Preparing the midsole
The midsole is lined accurately and covered with the chosen material.
8. Lasting the shoe
The shoe is built around the last and different parts of the shoes are carefully sewn together. Themidsole are roughened and the heel is attached to complete the shoe.
9. Embossing the innersole
The brand is creatively embossed on top of the innersole.
The shoes are being baked. The sole is compressed more onto the upper and the heel screwed on to make it stable. Excess materials are trimmed away. Padding is applied for comfort and the innersole is attached. It also includes cleaning of the shoes and polishing.
Once the shoes are finished, they are boxed and ready for purchase!
For more information: